Whether you’re a beginner who wants to try out the keto diet or have experienced doing it before, it is very easy to make mistakes that could cause your results to stall out or keep you from getting the best health you can have. So let’s take a look at some of the dos and don’ts to make the most of the ketogenic diet today.
- - Make sure you eat real food all the time. Go with grass-fed and antibiotic-free beef, salmon, chicken, vegetables, heavy cream, butter, etc. Basically, you will want to aim for food that comes from the farm.
- - When replacing electrolytes, don’t consume sugary energy drinks or diet Gatorade. Instead, you can do so by drinking chicken broth or bone broth and get at least two tsp each day.
- - Consume fats that are healthy for your body. Think avocado oil, coconut oil, butter, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, heavy cream, MCT oil and animal fats. Since fats are brain food and a source of energy that can provide your mind with clarity, this is something you will need to have in order to make the most of the keto diet.
- - Choose natural sweeteners instead of the chemically-produced products. Go with Stevia or Erythritol instead.
- - Try your best to avoid going with fast food for your meals. Although this can be hard to avoid sometimes, try to go with natural alternatives instead if you aren’t desperate. Most of the keto practitioners will find that fast food no longer tastes as good as it did before. This is especially true if you start thinking about how unhealthy they are. Many fast food meals are filled with preservatives and chemicals that can stall your goal when practicing the ketogenic diet.
- - Avoid consuming low-carb tortillas, packaged store bread, sugar-free jellies or candies, diet soda, shakes, microwaved meals, low carb bars or other so-called zero calorie drinks.
- - Avoid eating food that is low in fat. You don’t even have to bother purchasing low-fat or fat-free yoghurt and cheese. What you need to is to buy full-fat cheese and more of those healthy fats instead. If you find that the label says low-fat, don’t go with that! And make sure that the yoghurt you consume is full-fat.
- - Stay away from consuming bad fats. If you’re wondering, these can be in the form of vegetable oil, corn oil, hydrogenated oil, canola oil and soybean oil.
- - Lastly, don’t look into the nutrition information of something that you have consumed afterwards – always do it before. You don’t want to enjoy something now and find out later that it contained more carbs than what you have been avoiding all along. This can really set your keto diet back, but as long as you don’t do it again, it shouldn’t be a big deal.
- - By following these basic dos and don’ts of the keto diet, it won’t be easy for you to mess things up moving forward. Usually, you will have to use common sense when choosing the types of food you consume. If you’re unsure, you can always ask the experts!